home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What do these two objects have in common?

The St. Louis Arch

and



the Iconic Tulip Table?

You probably already know but I didn't. I discovered it today while searching for photos of the arch for a project at work. I'm sure all of you formally schooled in interior design know, but it never came up in my art history or design classes.

They were both designed by Eero Saarinen. Isn't that amazing?

My Aunt Jane had this table and the matching set of chairs when I was growing up. I loved them. They were so Mod. My parent's house was full of antiques. Which of course I loved too.

But oh...how I'd love to have my Aunt Jane's Saarinen tulip table now. I'd have a dining room that would look like this.




So pretty mixed with the aqua chairs and mirror.

Alas, I believe her table and chairs are long gone.

7 comments:

Frugal Home Designs said...

So pretty. The dark floors, aqua, and white. Love it. What would be the chances of one of those showing up on Craigslist :)

LesleySW said...

It looks really fantastic. I love the combo of antique and modern like this. And the color of the chairs is divine!

Erica Cook said...

Good stuff! there's an ikea replica tulip table in my outdoor room that I posted on my blog today. You'll have to stop by. Will be following! Erica

http://moth-design.blogspot.com/

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That is very cool! :-)

Thanks for linking up today!

Melissa

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Interesting! I didn't know that, even though I have family that lives in St. Louis and have visited the Arch museum a few times in my life.

I'm really loving that room--gorgeous!

Have a great weekend, Nita! :-)

Allison Shops said...

Love the table. Great paired with the painted chairs. Too bad it's long gone!

Dropping by from The Inspired Room. Come see what has inspired me in Blog Land, and don't forget our giveaway ends Saturday night - so be sure to register at AtticMag!

Allison

Tiina said...

yes, Saarinen was a genious! sometimes I'm just so proud of my Finnish roots :)

have a lovely day!
Tiina
http://elcestockholm.blogspot.com