home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Rose in Winter

Poinsettia
A rose by another name and it does not smell as sweet. 
It does not smell at all.
Winter Rose Red Poinsettia
Winter Rose Pink Poinsettia
Have you seen these? I hadn't till the other day when I was in a local Florist.
I'm afraid I made a fool of myself. 
I was like..."Wow! I've never seen these before. They are incredible."

The guy behind the counter sighed...
"Oh those aren't that new any more. They've been out for about 7 years. 
They used to be twice the price of regular poinsettias but now are about the same."

So I guess these are "So Seven Years Ago" but I'd never seen them, have you?

6 comments:

Amy Chalmers said...

Hi Nita, Yes I've seen them and fell in love with them the winter they came out. I have a new variety this year and it is dark pink with white veins and splotches and it is pretty cool too. But my favorite is the solid pink!

Cindi Myers said...

This post reminded me that I just heard that they are NOT poisonous to cats (and dogs)! I just always assumed they were so I never had any.
After reading your post, I just Googled it again and NOPE! not toxic!? I have a friend that works at a Garden/Gift center and I'm going to call her right away and see if they have some pink ones! Who knew!
(I guess a lot of people! tee hee!)
XOXO - Cindi

Elizabeth said...

So pretty. I've only seen them once or twice. I'm probably not going to the right places. LOL

Marie said...

I love the purple poinsettias Nita! I haven't seen them here. What we have are the candy cane colors, pink and white and I like them too. Happy weekend! Wish me luck, I'll be doing my gift shopping.

-marie

Nita Stacy said...

See! I am late to the party on this one. I never buy poinsettias because they don't go with my decor...but I could do these pink ones.

And yes....they are NOT poisonous...I don't know where that came from. I've heard it for years but learned a couple of years ago that they are not. So safe to have around cats and dogs.

Unknown said...

I only began seeing them about 3 years ago but this year we have been seeing blue and purple poinsettias. I am quessing that the growers are simply putting dye in the soil.