home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Night of the Terrible Terriers

in which Harvey was a Hero
Last night....I was up very late working on a design project.
I didn't realize that Harvey was outside.
He had gone out and I didn't know he'd gone out. 
He'd probably been out at least a couple of hours
when I heard him making the most awful noises.
He's not suppose to be out at night because he likes to bark at the neighbor's windows.
And I'm paranoid about them being out without me...so I had no idea he'd accidently gotten left 
out the last time all went out for a potty break.

About 3:30 am I hear the worst sounds coming from the backyard and realize he is out.
I race through the house and open the door and the others fly out.
Harvey is at the gate just barking and wailing and screaming. 
On the other side of the gate is the cutest white Westie terrier.
I reach over and pet its head. I dare not open the gate or all mine will be running willy nilly.
She looked like this.
So I grab Newman who is now biting at the gate trying to get at the intruder. 
Newman always makes an ass of himself with any new dog.
Only to give up and be nice right away.

But he was making horrid noises too...so I grab him and put him in the house. By then,
my phone is ringing in the house. I know its the neighbor calling to complain or perhaps they 
thought something was wrong because this was an unusual amount of noise.

But I can't answer the phone because I'm gathering all the dogs up and putting them in the house. 
I then go out the front to look for the Westie. 

It is gone. I hated that. It was sweet and was obviously someone's out when it was not suppose to be.
I called for it and then decided to water my front flower beds hoping it would show up.
Sure enough about ten minutes later...here she comes....running down the street towards me 
and following her is ... a Scottie.
He looked just like this.

He's a little skittish..but I get them both in the house...which causes a huge uproar in my household.
Both Harvey and Newman were beside themselves.
A quick look at their tags and I learn their names are Boomer and Sooner.
So obviously someone who went to school at OU owns them.

I call the number on their tags repeatedly because by then I realize there is no going to bed
for me while they are in the house.

I tried to mix mine with them...but as I said, Newman can be an ass. 
But if the dog he's putting his bluff on does not bark or growl back...then all is good 
and Newman does not try anything.
He just wants any new dog to know he's the man of the house around here.
But the little Scottie seemed to be a bit like this himself...so we had a skirmish.

Which made me decide Boomer and Sooner would be staying in the living room for the night.
Harvey kept barking and barking and screaming...he is scared of any new dog and
will make all kinds of noises but stay around a corner because he's scared to get close to them.
Sally was hid under the bed the whole time.
Violet? She was loving every minute of it. Tail wagging and smiling...she loves meeting new dogs.

I called repeatedly the owner....no answer. 
A few times I just let the message be the sound of lots of dogs barking.
I wondered if the neighbors could hear all the noise coming from inside my house.
Both of these dogs were super sweet but they were pretty young and there was lots of this going on.
I tried to read a book. 
About 6 am...their Mom called. She apologized for not knowing I'd called.
Turns out she lives around the corner and down the street.
She said they had asked to go out at 2:30 am. That they normally do not sleep outside.
Then they never asked to come back in. That was because they'd dug out and were having an
adventure and then a sleep over at my house.
The digging out made sense since when I'd given them a bowl of water, 
it immediately turned to mud from all the dirt in their whiskers.

Anyway....they are safely back home now. 
This is exactly why I don't let mine be out unattended.
You just never know what they might get themselves in to.  

I'm sure these two thought it was a great idea to dig out and it did turn out well for them...
but we are not far from a very major highway and or they could have been lost for good.

So lucky...for them that I was up... and that Harvey accidently got left out. 
Which has only happened like once before.
So Harvey was a hero and possibly saved their lives. 

Harvey saved the Terrible Terriers!

34 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Harvey DID save the Terriers! He deserves a medal and a write up in the local paper!! Just sayin'

This story is so funny, as my 16 year old cat, Chloe, can be an ass herself! We have a kitten and of all the hissing and spitting I have ever heard!!! She is a big scaredy cat, but still...she is top cat and wants to make sure Sadie knows it....Sadie could care less!

Loved this post!!

Lou Cinda :)

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

What a cute story and bless your heart for staying up ALL night? with them. So glad they made it back home.

Cindi Myers said...

Hmmm
Two rowdy young terriers put outside at 2 and no one notices or answers their phone until 6?
I mean, I TOTALLY get how when you have more than 3, ya might by accident think they are all in, as the little herd comes storming inside (I've done it myself) but TWO?
I completely think that it was meant to be Harvey outside because he was the ONE that would save the day and call for his Momma!
Yep, he's a HERO!
He needs some extra XOXOX's!
Thank goodness it turned out so well. Most people would have gone inside and forgotten about it but you go water your flowers...and that's why I ADORE YOU!
XOXO for you too!
:D - Cindi

Marie said...

Wonderful story. As a mom whose bad furry child has run off I so appreciate your helping them. It meant the world to have mine back safely.

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
July giveaway

Unknown said...

You and Harvey are rock stars! or super hero's! All the pups are too cute. I want a Westie so bad! Just have not bit the bullet yet!

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Good boy, Harvey!!!

Lol! What a night for mommy though!

Sue
xo

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Nina, this is my first time commenting on your blog. Thank you for such an entertaining story!

Amy Chalmers said...

Ha ha Nita! That must have been quite a night! And you must be doing some involved kind of project~which makes me wonder what it is that you are working on! Back to Harvey, oh is he the naughty one, but it turned into a good story for him alerting about the lost dogs! I thought it was going to be like the time there was that terrible badger in the yard~ugh. YOur house must have been a nuthouse with all the dogs. Next time do a video!! I would have loved to been a fly on the wall last night!

Debra@CommonGround said...

I love a good ending to a great story! Thank goodness I just have 2 rotten kitties, that stay inside! Hope you get some rest, xoxo Debra

Dawn said...

Nita, what a wonderful rescue story. I just ran out to call my 2 pups. I like to see what they are up to. I only found cobwebs in their wiskers this time...probably under the shed again....Dawn Suitcase Vignettes xo

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Hooray for Harvey, protector of home and hearth!Thank goodness my next door neighbor is deaf-this sounds like something one of my dogs would do-they love to bark at everything that moves.Glad those sweet little dogs were rescued by you.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

So glad all turned out well. I cannot believe that owner doesn't watch her dogs and get them back in especially at 2:30 a.m. No way would Bailey be left out. We don't have a fence anyway. She doesn't pee at night anyway thank goodness. Guess it was a good thing Harvey was out.

An Urban Cottage said...

What a night you had. You all deserve a big long nap!

Belinda said...

Hooray for Harvey! :)

Your neighbor is very lucky that you and Harvey took care of those sweet puppy dogs!

Louise said...

You saved their lives, you stayed up to WATER YOUR GARDEN in the early hours, to watch out for them. Some people would have just gone back to bed!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

That's a fun story even if it was probably kind of exhausting for you. "Harvey saved the Terrible Terriers!" kind of sounds like the title to a cute children's book :)

Lisa said...

Just shows you how timing is everything. You and your babies are going to be tired tonight! You were a hero too for taking the runaways in.
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Nita, you are a sucker just like me! I'm so glad you found them and that you kept them safe until their owners could come for them. I would have done the same thing. I imagine that they will not be let out alone again anytime soon! Not to mention, there are hole repairs! LOL

They are so cute! By the way, I have a mixed breed who likes being a "little bitch" with new things. LOL I understand the "ass" comment!

Tara

Jen said...

oh what an adventure they had! So glad Harvey found them though - they are just adorable and I am sure their owner would have been upset to find them missing if she had gone out to get them in the morning!
Hugs
jen xo

Adam Hazlett said...

Nita,
What a GREAT story....Made me laugh
out loud at work!!
I can only imagine Violet, tail wagging and smiling....My little
Chihuahua Cher gets like that at the dog park around cute boy dogs
she happens to fancy. My tea cup poodle Elvis is all fearce and threating till he's off his leash then he's a scardy cat.

Lorraine said...

What a great story... I love your dogs.
Love, Lorraine

Bring Pretty Back said...

Nita, Loved how you told this story! SO cute and funny!!!!
Have a PRETTY day!
Kristin

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

What a night you had. I'm so glad that you were there to save the little doggies from being lost.

hugs
Sissie

Mourning Dove Farm said...

I loved this story:).

Cindy said...

Hi Nita,
What a great story! Give Harvey a hug for me! Did you get any sleep last night at all?
~Cindy

Olive said...

That Harvey is such a swell kid and so are you. I would have been very grumpy.

Linda Hartong said...

I love it. I am the owner of two wheaten colored Scotties. I have also "rescued" dogs from their own front yards when they followed me. I would be you are tired today. Cute post.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

What a cute adventure story. Although...at that hour of the morning, you probably didn't think it was too cute, huh? Boomer and Sooner are adorable doggies. I'm glad you kept them safe for their mommy. ;)

Hope to see you at the party tonight.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Shabby Marilyn said...

Cute story and you both are true Hero's!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Nita,
I loved reading about your night gone to the dogs:-) I have a big pack myself and know just what you mean about the noise, and I go out with mine too, and have left one behind too...
You are so sweet for saving those two from a night of trouble!
Hugs,
Bella

Pamela said...

Nita you have a heat of gold! What a sweet story!

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Wow what a night...So glad everyone ended being safe and returned to the appropriate houses....Though strange they woke to let the dogs out at 2.30 but did not hear the phone, especially when they should have been listening for the dogs to want to come back inside too....hmmm.

Hooray for Harvey, he deserves an extra treat or two.

Blessings Kelsie

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I am the same way with Timmy, maybe I'm over protective since we have a fenced in yard but I stay by the door and wait for him to come back in. If he takes to long I go outside and yell, TREAT! Which then sends him rushing through the door like a bat out of hell! I would Never let him wonder, who knows what could happened to him. I don't blame you on keeping a close eye on them. We love our weenies.

Glad those dogs were returned safe and sound and were found by another dog lover.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Hi, Nita. I am getting caught-up on your blog as I have been under the weather for a few days. I am glad you were there for the naughty terriers. I have a Westie, and if they want to get to something, nothing will stop them...not even an electric fence set on the highest setting. I hope the owner learned her lesson.

Also, I love the update on the South African kitchen. It is fantastic!

Have a great week!

~Ricki Jill