home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Winter Mantel

Sweet Tweet!
I have discovered the joys of after Christmas shopping. I must say...I've never done it much before.
I'm always too busy working to have time to shop the After Christmas Sales.
But this year...since I'm working a lot in Pier 1...
I can't seem to resist those can't pass them up bargains.
Hence...my little winter mantel scape shown here today.
It all started with those sweet little fat birds.
They were cute at full price but I didn't need them.
At 75% off plus my discount....they just had to come home with me.
Same for the little bird's nest. 
I don't decorate for Christmas in a natural way....no real branches and stuff in my Christmas decor.
So it's fun to break out the natural stuff for January.
I had the bits of greenery bought at Michaels before Xmas cause they were just too pretty to not get.
I added some of my mercury glass and...
twigs I brought in from the yard.
I splattered some white paint on them and snowy glitter...and they became the perfect thing 
for my little fat birds to rest upon.

But of course...now I'm thinking of Valentine Decor so this will change up soon.

Speaking of bargains....

I bought these the other day at 90% off
They were less than $1 each!
I bought 8. They will turn up on my Thanksgiving table next year.

But I have to say it was not much fun buying pumpkins when the store was full of 
glorious Easter stuff.

But I'll be glad I got them next fall.

Mainly, I bought candles at 90% off.
That is fun....because you can burn them without an inkling of guilt.

So...Mom went back to the surgeon today and she got a passing grade.
She is doing fine. She had fluid around her lungs and that had to be drained off but 
that is a pretty common thing...according to the doctor.

But after going to the Heart Hospital, having the little procedure and running around a little.
(We made a quick stop at Ross)

She was very worn out and ready to get back in bed.
She didn't feel so hot.

Her recovery continues.....
pretty good considering the surgery was only three weeks ago.

She has agreed to stay with me awhile longer.
She thought she wanted to go home very soon but today convinced her she needs to take it easy 
for another two weeks at least.

The surgeon said really 8 weeks before she'd feel decent enough to be on her own.

That's ok. 

sharing at

27 comments:

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

I love your winter mantle...and that mirror is gorgeous!!! Hugs, Penny

Stacey said...

Nita, you are doing a good job taking care of your mom. Showing her a little fun along the way too. :)

Your mantle is so pretty. First of all you know that mirror is stunning! The silver pieces look really nice with it.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Wow, your mom is doing so well, Nita, and I'm sure it's due to your care. You are such a wonderful daughter! I love those plates. And your mantel is sooooo adorable. Someone needs to send it to BH&G. THe birds look so good with your fireplace surround! You know how much I love Pier 1 and I'm afraid to go in there to see the spring stuff. I'll go nuts and we're trying to save for private school!

xo,
RJ

Karen said...

That is a drop dead gorgeous mantle Nita. Glad to hear your mom is doing well.

Sarah said...

Beautiful winter mantel.

Anonymous said...

Love your winter mantel, Nita.. so inviting! Thank you for updating us on your mom. Glad the fluid issue is taken care of and she is on the mend. You are the daughter every mother prays for.
melinda

Amy Chalmers said...

those little fat birds are darling. I love glittery stuff so it is nice to have a bit of glitter mixed with natural for after the holidays but the glitter keeps it special. Happy to hear mom had a decent checkup. You sound upbeat too, despite all you have going on with the yard digging up and the added bills...all the dogs and the nursing care PLUS your job!

Dewena said...

Those birds are so sweet! The mantel is so fresh and cheering. It makes me happy to look at it.

And today must have been exhausting for both you and your mother. I'm sure it was good for both of you to get home to the weenies.

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

Your mantel looks fabulous and your bargains are unbelievable. Can't wait to see your tablescape with the pumpkin plates! $1...I am sure! That's crazy! Love it!
Karen

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Nita,
Love your mantle..
Did they have to do a Thoracentesis ( tap her with a needle)?

Hugs,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Beautiful Nita! I am glad your mom is doing better:). Have a great Wednesday, Jen

Alisha O. said...

oh.my.goodness, LOVE love it. (: i must get myself to my little suburban pier one!

"Create Beauty" said...

Such a delight to see your winter mantle. A touch of white spray paint and glitter was a marvelous idea!

Am glad you shared an update on your mom. May she continue to gain strength and stamina as she heals in your care.

~ Violet

Ivy Lane said...

love your mantle scape! and candles for 90% off!!! What????!!! I am there! Thanks for sharing all the sales with us! :) Glad your mom is getting stronger every day!

Adam Hazlett said...

Don't you just love the Pier 1 markdowns? Especially with your employee discount! Your mantel looks great!
Love those birds and those pumpkin plates, you'll love having them next year! Glad to hear your mom is doing great also! I'm sure it's fun to have company.
Thanks for inviting me to Mod Mix Monday it was fun! It really improved my traffic.
Have a great week!
Adam

OldThingsNew said...

Beautiful winter mantle. I am so drawn to the cool colors. Glad your mom is doing better, but good choice to keep her around a bit longer. Patti

Brenda Pruitt said...

Love the nod to nature, Nita!
Brenda

Olive said...

Your mantel is beautiful. You are so good to you mom.

Unknown said...

Your mantel looks very elegant and beautiful! Sending well wishes to your Mom! She's very lucky to have you.

One More Time Events said...

This one of the best Winter mantel's I have seen yet! Beautiful. If you would like to share it I would love to invite you to come by One More Time Events.http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/01/share-it-one-more-time-4-2013.html

Anonymous said...

Those fat birds are irresistible! If I worked at Pier 1 I would never bring home a pay check! I couldn't shop after Christmas either, no money! Ha! Going to Pier 1 soon to check out their new inventory and sales. Your mirror is gorgeous, great backdrop for decorating!
Jenna

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love your beautiful winter mantel, those mercury glass candlesticks are gorgeous.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love your mantel. The Colours are just perfect for winter.

One More Time Events said...

Just stopping by to let you know you have been featured at One More Time Events. Thanks for sharing and hope you can come link up again at http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/01/share-it-one-more-time-sunday-5-2013.html
Thanks again,
Xo
Tammy

Cindy said...

I loved seeing your pretty mantel, you are a very good decorator and I love seeing your own creations.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey Nita,
Just wanted to drop by and congratulate you for being featured over at Jennifer Rizzo's...so well deserved. Have a great weekend. Hope your mom is doing well.
melinda

Unknown said...

I stopped by from French Country Cottage - you're winter vignette is gorgeous! I love how you got great prices (I love a good bargain!!) I hope your mom gets to feeling well again.