home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Open House Sunday

A Duplex in Dallas
built 1950
I love the trim color on this home and the landscaping.
This house has lots of natural light.
That huge buffet with the wood fish over it is fun.
Cozy furniture. I think the rug is a bit much and a lower coffee table I think would be much better.
If you notice...that is the fireplace there surrounded in mirror.
That's kind of odd but I think it could be made fabulous.
Looks like they are trying to ignore it.
I'd hang a painting in the center of the mirror.
The mirror would be an interesting feature rather than something weird they are trying to ignore.
Don't you think that coffee table is just too much?
I love wedding cake chandeliers but not in this home.
Wedding cake chandeliers are very 20's and 30's and don't belong in a 1950's era house.
Rug is too much again. Boy...I am cutting this house apart....but I do really like it.
It just needs some tweaking.
I'd love to have a sunroom like this myself. 
Put some garden furniture in here and some plants and it would become the best room in the house.
They need Debra of Common Ground to come decorate it.
Nice galley kitchen. That red wall would be a perfect candidate for chalkboard paint, wouldn't it?
Love the faucet and the subway tile. Cabinets are nice too.
Lots of nice things here. Not crazy about the little bar. I would not have added that...
it looks too delicate. I think I'd prefer it with cabinets below or not have it at all.
Again...a loud rug.
But the finishes are super nice in this kitchen. I wish mine were as high end.
I can just imagine that wall in black chalkboard paint with fun things written and drawn on it.
Really great faucet. But I would not have put that in a 1950's home. 
Oh...it would look great in my kitchen however.
This bedroom just needs a head board and some curtains. 
I really like the bedding and the pile of pillows.
Again..just needs a headboard and drapes but do love the picture above the bed 
and I've always loved those 
stacked book shelve things...They look so great when full.
Pretty bathroom. I'd hang a mirror on the mirror. I love layered mirrors.
Love the sink...but I'd never put it in a 1950's home. It's too victorian.
It's gorgeous but I'd do something more streamlined in a 1950's home.
I'm all about embracing the era of your home...not fighting it.
Very nice backyard.
Looks like the perfect spot for evening meals.
I guess this is a back parking area but I like it in gravel. It would be awful all pavement.
See the full listing here.

Have a Happy Sunday!

8 comments:

Dewena said...

You always have the best ideas for bringing these houses up to snuff. I was expecting a more mid-century decor inside this house from viewing the outside. Pretty house but that flat roof could be nothing but trouble and expensive to replace many times in long ownership.

Hope your mother is continuing to recuperate nicely and that you have been able to rest a little bit.

vintage girl at heart said...

you would be a perfect stager for these listings!
happy to see that your mama is doing well.
take care of yourself too!
blessings~

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

I like the arrangement of the rooms and all the trees! Thank you for the tour!
♥ Jil

Cindi Myers said...

I was all excited seeing the outside of this house but the inside decor just seemed wrong. I agree with Dewena, should have been Mid-Century Mod.
Love the house itself but the decor wasn't my style.
Hope you are getting some rest and that your Mom is settled in and comfy with her pups!
xoxo - Cindi

Unknown said...

Love the "Open House" but we need a mom update. How is she doing?

Now on to the house. It looks like it was furnished by a very tall man, everything is very tall and large scale. I am not a mid-century fan so I don't mind the items from the 20's and 30's but it would bug me if they took a 1920's house and redid it with fixtures from the 70's. But even a 70's house shouldn't be tortured with 70's fixtures.
Have a great week.
Traci

Sara said...

Wow, you gave me something to think about ~ something that never would have occurred to me. Hang a mirror on the mirror. What a cool idea! I might have to try that with my powder room mirror. It totally needs some character.

Thanks!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a great house! I love Southern homes... the decor is so detailed and with touches of classic elegance! There are so many usable ideas in this pretty home! Thanks for taking us on a tour!

Cindy said...

That is a really great house, but they needed someone like you to decorate or stage it for sale. I agree with all of your remarks. Last weeks house also had those ugly red and blue area rugs, what's with that?
Have a great week.
Hugs, Cindy