home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Monday, December 16, 2013

Mod Mix Monday #132

Modern Cottage Christmas
I love the way this room is decorated for Christmas. The tree covered in beaded snowflakes.
The simple decorations in neutrals and pastels really compliment the white paneled wall.
The mix of green and pastels looks so fresh.

This week's favorites of Mod Mix Monday is mostly filled with Christmas.
That is what we are all working on...isn't it?

FAVES...
Vickie of Ranger 911 put together this cute Christmas vignette and it all started with 
that little transistor radio.
Tricia of Little Cottage on the Pond showed off all her Christmas decor.
I was especially smitten with the above image but it's all pretty.
I just loved the simplicity of the above decoration.
 I can't resist these vintage tins from the collection of Curtains in My Trees.
 Delia of Revived by Delia painted a little bedside table in a great shade of milk paint.
 Katie of Upcycled Treasures made these great little wood slice ornaments
and shows how you can too!
 Custom Comforts created a knock off of a Pottery Barn pillow design with great success!
She used bits and pieces she had around the house too.
Leslie of Paper Daisy Designs made this wonderful chalkboard banner to display in her tree!

Here we are the last week before Christmas.
I'm no where near ready.
I've been at work every day.
The girls at work have been coming to me and complaining about how rude and mean and irritable
the shoppers are.
I have noticed that customers are not as pleasant at Christmas as they are the rest of the year.

I always say to the other girls..."Amateurs!"
"The amateurs are out!"

But that is not entirely true.
It occurred to me tonight what is really going on.
When people are shopping for themselves they are all happy.
They are high on the thrill of finding something for themselves that they want.

At Christmas the difference is...they are not happy about buying for others.
I just figured this out.
They come in the store and just want to get the chore over.
They don't want to buy for others...they'd rather buy for themselves but they have this "List"
they have to buy for.

I really think that is what is going on...
because I've noticed the people that are in buying for themselves
are all happy
but the ones that have come in looking for gifts are abrupt, grumpy and in a hurry.

What does this say about our society?
It does not say anything good.

I don't think it used to be this way.
I think everyone has gotten so used to getting what they want all the time that we've become
a very selfish society that becomes irritated
and can't handle putting others first for even just a few weeks a year.

That is just my observation any way.

Now on to what we are all here for link up below.

Remember anything old made over to be new...anything new changed up to look old.
New and old together...
Please include the Mod Mix Monday logo and back link to me.
Use a permalink to your individual post not to your entire blog.

If you link up...I'd appreciate it, if you'd follow me.


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Nita, for hosting. Hopefully people will begin to remember what the season is all about and adjust their behavior accordingly in the store. No excuse for rudeness or selfishness, period.

bj said...

I love all your features and that first one is just beautiful. I'd like to do something simple like that next year.
Thanks so much for hosting.

Rebecca said...

Sadly, I think you're ON to something here in your observations about Christmas shoppers.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I'm going to keep this in mind when I have to rush out and buy a last minute present. I'll try to be extra pleasant to the gals who have to work those precious hours leading up to Christmas!

Thanks so much for featuring my radio display and hosting your fun party each week, Nita!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Nita,
Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Hi Nita, It is sad that people are the way they are - especially at the time of year that we focus on giving and not receiving... It saddens me to see this around us, but hopefully they will finally figure it all out - It's not about us... thank you for hosting yet another wonderful party - Cathy

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Isn't it sad that people are unable to enjoy the season and giving. I do wonder though...if it's hard to give is it even harder to receive?

I know you'll be spreading goodness and cheer where you work.

Wishing you JOY this Christmas!

Laurel Stephens said...

I love your fun features this week, Nita! Thank you for hosting your party, and I hope you have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the feature - I am very humbled! Enjoy your holiday - forget all the amateurs! :)

Unknown said...

I love Paper Daisy Design's tree! Great features Nita, thanks so much for hosting :)

xo

Unknown said...

Thank you for the feature :) I love the simple decorations too! Hope you are having a fabulous Monday!

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

Thanks for letting me be part of your party.
Denise

Debra@CommonGround said...

so many great features, thanks for hosting, Nita, Hope you have a great week!

Diane said...

Shoppers at Christmas can be rather grumpy, everyone seems to be scurrying about at the last minute. I've worked retail in the past during the holidays, and I always dreaded it. I'm sure you're doing your best to spread some Christmas cheer!

Your features are lovely and thanks for the party!

Laurel Stephens said...

Hi Nita. What you have to say today about grumpy shoppers really struck a chord with me. I couldn't help noticing when I was doing my shopping this year that people don't seem to be enjoying themselves too much. I have to confess that I sometimes think of holiday shopping as a "chore." I'm going to rethink that, and see how I can change next year to better fit what should be the spirit of the season. A lot of food for thought there.

Dewena said...

This is why I try to shop online when I can. I loved shopping when I was younger but it is exhausting now. I have to say that the women associates at the Pier One I went to here were a big disappointment. I had not been to one in years and went in expecting to find someone like Nita. Maybe my grumpy husband scared them off!

Beautiful things shown here today. I wish I could figure out how to do this link thing. Permalink? what is that? I know, I should google it.

Unknown said...

Thank you dear Nita for another lovely party.
Blessings,
Patti

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

That was very intersting. There are people I love to shop for and others not so much, because we are so different it's difficult for me to be sure to make them happy; but I promise I won't take it on the salespersons!!!

Tarnished Royalty said...

Thank you for hosting, Nita. Love all the red and green, and yes, cutest cottage! ~Ann
Tarnished Royalty

Cindi Myers said...

Love that first image so much!
Great picks as always.
I hope that everyone isn't just selfish and only want to only buy for themselves but I'm sure there are many people like that out there.
But then again, maybe they are just frustrated. I know that's how I feel.
I have people on my list who say "Oh! don't get me anything!" and they do seem to have everything that a person would want. But I always feel that I must get them "something" because I will feel uncomfortable when they give me a gift. It's hard when you live on a very tight budget and still want to find something just right. It's very stressful and I know that sometimes I can feel grumpy when I'm searching for something they will actually like and not want to return.
Yep, Xmas shopping isn't always too fun.
:)

Kim said...

I just witnessed this phenomenon the other day in the Gap! I am always shocked when people act like this because I love shopping for others. THe thrill of the hunt and all that. It usually sparks some creativity too and that of course always makes me happy. Sad that thinking of others before ourselves has become passé. BUT, I am trying to raise my kiddos to put others first and not always successful but they seem to enjoy finding the "just right" gift at their Santa Shops and that is priceless.

XO,Kim

Curtains in My Tree said...

Your so sweet to show off my vintage Christmas tins I have had for years
I just love coming over here it's always soooooo pretty

Merry Christmas from Janice & Shirley my male cat LOL