home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Friday, May 23, 2014

Judy's Garden

Judy, Judy, Judy,
How Does Your Garden Grow?
(with vintage lawn chairs all in a row)
I didn't mean to be gone for so many days. My internet was down for a couple of days.
Why? I do not know.
But I'm awfully glad it's back.

Today I'm going to share my neighborhood friend Judy's Garden.
It is truly a garden of ingenuity.
It's full of perennials gathered over the years from friend's gardens, 
naturally seeded local wild flowers and plants and lots of knick knacks and junky treasures.
Judy has a talent for finding vintage patio furniture.
Those two chairs above? She found for little or nothing and had them professionally 
painted orange. 
They compliment the orange trim on her house.
Many of the ferns and tropicals her in her garden over winter in her greenhouse.
More vintage furniture painted orange creates a sitting group by the house.
 Judy used to sell cement garden statuary. 
Her garden is full of it! I love those toadstools!
Here a knock out rose grows in a container.
These roses over winter just fine in their containers. Judy just mulches well before winter.

That fern is just getting started. 
 Lot's of garden art in this garden. Judy's latest passion is adding colored glass to the mix.
She lucked upon this bottle tree. 
She met up with someone who had it and didn't want it. 
She quickly snapped it up and has been busy filling it with blue bottles.
blue bottles hang from the trees above
These blue bottles previously held Bud Light Platinum.
Her husband's job is to drink the beer so Judy can hang them in the garden.
A top a pedestal rests this hand blown glass ball full of glass fish. 
There's always a spot for geraniums.  
A big foxtail fern will be huge by end of this summer. 
 a row of vintage lawn chairs await their turn to be painted
 Isn't this a pretty patio set? Another set that someone else was just going to throw away.
The top had gotten broken but Judy came up with a replacement and painted it pink.
 funny metal flowers
 I'll be anxious to visit the garden in a month or so when the ferns will be back in their glory.
 this dark corner of the garden is full of wild violets and hostas
 I've never thought to plant hostas in pots! I'm so going to try this.

A mermaid fountain provides ambient noise.

I went by Judy's last Sunday night and ended up sitting in the garden visiting with her till way past dark.
A Happy Little Place in the Middle of the City.
Full of flowers, plants and whimsy!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I absolutely LOVE Judy's garden. I would SO like to have access to affordable (free) cement yard items! I'm glad you were able to show us this yard.

Stacey said...

What a fun garden! I love all the items she's collected and of course the plants. :)

Sonia said...

What a beautiful garden! Love all the statuary, plants and furniture. Looks like a fun garden to visit..thanks for sharing!
Miss Bloomers

Cottage Dreaming and Flea Market Wishing said...

so pretty!

Jess said...

I work here on Classen and am wondering if you would ask Judy a question? I have maybe 5 vintage lawn chairs that need new pipe that is bent for the legs and base. Mine have rusted through. Does she have someone that fixes that for her? It is pretty common and once it rust through they just start bending and cannot be sat upon. I appreciate it! And I am still missing our old thrift store St. Vincent's on 23rd st.!!! Thanks and have a great weekend.

Cindi Myers said...

Oh! I LOVE a garden tour!
Thank you!
That was Lovely.

Amy Chalmers said...

wonderful garden~I love the mix of things she has. Maybe I need to paint my vintage chairs. They are getting a bit too rusty now. I also need a new umbrella but am looking for something a little bit different. xo

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a wonderful yard. I love the colors she choose on the house and furniture. It's so pretty. I also love the whimsy in the garden!

Pondside said...

Such a pretty place. If it were in my neighbourhood I'd pass by every day to peek in.